In December 2010, Utah State University purchased 40 acres of land in Brigham City for a new campus location to serve northern Utah. The site included the former Bushnell Army Hospital (from 1942 to 1947) and Intermountain Indian School (from 1950 to 1984). The University could not move forward with expanding a new campus in Brigham City, since the site was contaminated by asbestos and other environmental contaminants. The contamination needed to be cleaned up, in order for Utah to build a new campus in Brigham. Jordan & Associates recommended the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Brownfield Grant Program as a source for clean-up of the site. EPA's Brownfields Program allows stakeholders to work together to prevent, assess, safely clean up, and sustainably reuse brownfields sites, in order to eliminate blight and encourage economic redevelopment. The firm’s guidance and knowledge of the Brownfields grant program resulted in USU receiving an award of $200,000 to clean up contamination at seven buildings at the abandoned site.
As a result of the 2012 EPA Brownfields Grant, the site was cleaned up and Utah State University-Brigham City held its groundbreaking ceremony for its new classroom and student services building in October 2014. The 50,000-square foot facility will contain broadcast-enabled classrooms, a lecture hall, multi-purpose room and offices for faculty, advisors and staff. It will serve the educational needs of Brigham City and the surrounding region as these areas continue to grow. USU ’s extended plans for the new campus include a regional research and development complex, and additional classroom and laboratory buildings.
Establishing a Utah State campus in Brigham had been a long time goal of the City. Jordan & Associates involvement was integral in achieving cleanup of the site and allowing the USU campus to begin construction.